Friday, November 9, 2007


Just Like Teddy

The older I get, the stronger my opinion that sometimes children are the only ones who truly "get it." As I watch my nieces and nephews grow up, I understand more and more why Jesus said we must "come as a little child." That blind faith, that trust without reservation - it truly is amazing to watch. I learn many life lessons from these kids who are so precious to me.

One such lesson was learned several years ago from Teddy, who was only 4 at the time. I went to pick him up to spend the weekend and, when I arrived at his house, I saw him coming up the stairs to meet me, with a mournful look on his face, head hanging, his lower lip dragging along on the ground behind him. When he saw me he just threw himself into my arms and buried his head in my shoulder. Concerned, I gently asked, "What’s the matter, T.J.?"

He slowly lifted his head, looked at me with big sad eyes, and with drama worthy of an Oscar nomination, he declared, "Scott hurt my life!" It was all I could do not to laugh out loud! Instead, I wrapped my arms tightly around him and told him that he would be big-brother free for the whole weekend and no one was gonna hurt his life while he was at my house. This seemed to soothe his heart and, by the time we were ready to go, he was running happily toward the car, seemingly care-free!

Later, as I pondered the moment again, I smiled to myself as I thought, "who hasn’t had their 'life' hurt at some point along the way?" I know I have. And, I walk along with my head down, feeling sorry for myself and not quite sure things will ever be right again. But, the difference between most adults and children is, Teddy knew exactly what to do. He knew where to go to feel better and had complete faith that I would make things right again. He didn’t hesitate, he ran to my arms. And, after he found the comfort his little heart needed at that moment, he didn’t mope about it anymore. It was over, Scott was forgiven, and there was life to be lived!

How many times have I run straight to my Father for comfort? Not very often. I don’t know what it is as we get older, that we don’t seem to be able to trust anyone, even the Father, with our broken hearts, and life’s burdens and wounds. And, we keep resentments tucked away where we think no one can see them, but it sure keeps us from living life, care-free like a child, doesn’t it? I think we could all take lessons from children.

Someday, I hope I grow up to be just like Teddy.

No comments: